Arcane Spirit of Frost (31/0/20 Mage)

Roxanne Flowers

Re: Arcane Spirit of Frost (31/0/20 Mage)

Post by Roxanne Flowers » 8 months ago

I am familiar with the work of Kargoz, having watched a number of his vanilla class guides.

And yes, you're right that the damage per mana (DPM), on the immediate untalented face of things, LOOKS almost impossibly bleak for Arcane ... to the point where you'd have to wonder "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot would ANYONE EVER consider using any arcane spell for damage ever??" ... and truth be told, most people looked at the raw spell DPM numbers like you've referenced and simply never looked back.

But doing that leaves out things like my discovery of "shaping" WHEN you spend mana on your spells (so as to recover mana from Spirit while continuously casting), which then acts as a huge NET mana cost reduction over time, while at the same time keeping damage production "up" over the baseline when doing a cast/channel/cast/channel/repeat rotation like I'm advocating for in this build. This pattern also helps you with your endurance for long duration combat rather markedly, to the point where it starts feeling a bit like you've got a bottomless mana pool, especially if you've been stacking on as much Spirit as you can on your gear. So it's a very different philosophy for how to reach for and achieve success.

But it's when you start mixing schools of spellcasting like I'm advocating for here that you start finding some unexpected inter(re)actions between talents and spell schools that start making stuff a bit more complicated than simply looking up numbers on a chart and plugging them into a spreadsheet. Needless to say, I'm still in the process of testing out all the theorycrafting on what I'm doing with this build, but so far it's all panning out really nicely, to the point of being better than I'd been expecting (honestly).
Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Roxanne Flowers

Post by Roxanne Flowers » 5 months ago

Special Addendum Note for something that I just learned today.

Remember when I mentioned investing into Magic Attunement in this build, and how that might be useful in an endgame/raiding context?

Roxanne Flowers wrote:
11 months ago
  • Arcane (31 points)
    • Magic Attunement - Rank 2/2
      Increases the effect of your Amplify Magic and Dampen Magic spells by 50%.

Yeah ... about that ...

Warlocks will be seriously empowered/improved by casting Amplify Magic onto a Warlock (at basically any level, but moreso at 60) so to supercharge a Warlock's Lifetap spell(!) because with Amplify Magic cast on a Warlock, the Warlock gets to "double dip" into the buff/effects of Amplify Magic. So this is a cross-class synergy opportunity.

What happens with Amplify Magic on Warlocks when using Lifetap is that Lifetap first does Shadow Damage to the caster, and then converts the health lost into mana. So Amplify Magic will increase the loss of health per Lifetap ... but then will ALSO increase the mana returned from Lifetap, because the mana returned by Lifetap is "healing applied to the Warlock's mana bar" instead of being healing to the health bar (functionally speaking). This means you get a double whammy benefiting the Warlock, in which Amplify Magic will increase both the health loss and mana gain of Lifetap, meaning that a Warlock needs to cast fewer Lifetaps to recoup mana from health (1 cast versus 2, or perhaps 2 instead of 3, for example). This means that casting Amplify Magic is helpful to a Warlock who needs to Lifetap for mana.

However, if you combine 2/2 Magic Attunement augmented Amplify Magic onto 4 Warlocks who are in a group with a Paladin wearing a Lawbringer Armor Tier 1 Raid Set to score mana free healing from the Paladin's melee hits (Lawbringer set bonus) and from Judgement of Light procs ... and all of those Judgement of Light procs will accrue Threat for the Paladin who cast the Judgement of Light, helping the Paladin gain (and hold?) aggro, so you might want to be pulling that trick with a Protection Paladin in that combination.

So ... that could be nice ... :D
Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.